Friday, January 22, 2010

Godparents

Hey everyone its Friday and I'm so excited! Looking forward to a little trouble with the girls, fun with my special someone and most importantly entertainment from Jade. But before the clock strikes 5:30 and I run home to start my weekend I wanted to post about something that's been on my mind.

Godparents...how many of us take this title serious and how many of us just want to be the Godparent of the friend of the moment. How many of us realize that we have been used and are only called upon when we are needed not so much to have a relationship with the child.

I write this because I am currently on both sides of the God mommy fence. But today's issue is one that I am facing as a Mother who has picked someone to be a Godmother. Anyone who knows me should know that I put alot of thought and consideration into the people I chose to be Jade's Godparents. All were chosen for different reasons but the one thing that was universal is I felt these people would be able to help me shape Jade spiritually, emotionally, and physically into a beautiful woman. I also knew that if anything every happened to me these people could instill the values I wanted in her. I chose people that I knew would be mature and take this job seriously and no matter what happened between us they would still be there for Jade.

Recently 1 of Jade's godparents and I have not been speaking. I think the reasons are trivial and wonder what the deeper issue is, but that's neither here nor there. My issue has become that this person can not look past our issues for Jade. She doesn't want to call my phone to speak to Jade, she has other mutual friends call to get Jade so she can in fact see her and it really is bothering me. Because I know my attitude I haven't brought it up to her yet because I want to make sure I chose my words wisely but I am upset by the fact that she just wont be a grown up about the situation.

I wonder why we as adults cant just handle situations without all the unnecessary drama? Why cant we over look the small things for the better of the big picture? I don't know I guess today is more of a rant then anything else but this issue has been weighing on my heart and mind and so I wanted to throw it out there. What do you think is the role of God Parent and if you stopped speaking to your childs godparent or parent of your god child would you be able to be the bigger person or would ties be severed for the child involved?

Speak to me people!

It's MommE-Talk!

1 comment:

  1. I have two god children, one that lives closer to me than the other. I try to get my godchildren a couple times in the winter and then a lot more in the summer when we can do more. I had an issue with some choices my god sons mother made and this lead me to not speak to her as much. She and I grew up together and are god sisters so it was difficult for me at first to lose my friend. It took me a couple months but I put my issues with her to the side and spent my time with my god son as I had in the past. The problem now was he didn't know me that well anymore. I haven't let this discourage me and I still take him to parks, birthday parties,etc and have even been working on my relationship with my godsister. I think the deeper issue has to be revealed before things can get back on track and one person needs to be the bigger person and not allow the current issue get in the way of the role they were so honored to play a few years back.

    ReplyDelete