Monday, December 7, 2009

Work vs. The Holidays

Hey Guys,

I hope you all had a great weekend! Although I had a cold Jade and I still had a great weekend, from Philly to Harlem, parties to baby showers, play dates and fun Jade's weekend was jam packed which always means happiness for the both of us.

Today I wanted to talk about balancing work and holiday vacations. At my job we get 18 days for the entire year which includes sick days. So what happens when the end of the year arrives, day cares are closed, babysitters want off, nannies visit family yet your stuck at work? How can you manage 18 days when your a single mom, when you get sick, your child gets sick, emergencies arrive, and you plan a vacation. What do you do?

The life of a working mom is so hectic. This year I will be working during that 2 week time that most childcare professionals want off and thankfully I have a family that is really supportive and can help me. But what do the parents do that aren't as fortunate as I? What happens when your not a teacher and don't have a back up system? Does that mean you have to forfeit the family vacation earlier in the year to have the time to take off? Or do you drag your children to work with you?

I have no real answers to these questions and I wonder what some of you do during this time of year.

I'm looking out for your replies!! Talk to Me!

Its MommE-Talk!

1 comment:

  1. Are you whining? No, but really, it is definitely true. Savannah getting sick is not a planned event, so indeed, it is challenging to manage time off when you are a working mom. What about Bright Horizon's? Does the company offer a free babysitting service? Have you signed up? I haven't yet, but it's definitely on my To Do's for emergencies such as when a babysitter/childcare provider needs time off and I must go in to work. Hugs, -Denise

    ReplyDelete