Monday, December 14, 2009

Going Broke For Xmas

I know I've been gone too long but Im back and more on point with my posts.

So its holiday time, time to shop, time to hide gifts, time to put up trees and decorations, time to read stories about santa, and sing christmas carols, but most importantly time to go broke LOL.

This year is the first year Jade understands whats going on. We have watched Dora's Xmas special and have spoke about Santa and gifts. She watches commercials with awe and admiration of all the new toys out. So I must admit i have gone a little crazy for her. This yeah I have bought toys for her, toys for the dolls, clothes, everything I could think of that she liked. I have planned our day to include breakfast and a movie, toy playing and naps. I am definitely excited about my baby growing up and enjoying christmas.

But recently I sat down and thought about all the parents who spend rent money and bill money on making sure their children have "everything they want" instead of making sure they have everything they need. Why do so many children in the hoods have every pair of sneakers, every game and game system but their parents have beat down apartments, cant afford their rent, or any other bills?

This post is not to judge anyone or the situations they are in because there have been plenty of days in which I have struggled and made bad decisions but I think we need to do better. How can we teach our children to do better if we are making silly decisions ourselves? How do we get society to stop judging us as single parents, especially single mothers of color if we dont get out of living in these stereotypes and do better for us and our children.


What's your opinions? Leave a Comment and Opinion!


It's MommE-Talk!



2 comments:

  1. I def agree with doing better for our children, but I think it starts with the mindset and for me it was never all about the gifts and I want my children to grow up knowing the same thing. Around holidays in my household my mother couldnt afford to get alot of gifts for six kids, so she put more emphasis of family time, like decorating the tree, making cookies and watching movies also having breakfast as a family christmas morning. But I think most children expect what they know. So I think parents can do what they can and not over spend. I think I want to be able to get my children one special gift that they really want. And I plan to do it now, so that way they won't expect more than what I can afford. Even if I can go all out in the future I won't because I may not always be able to go all out every year, by doing this I feel my children will grow to apprecitate the small things and they will be greatful to have that one special toy and not get disappointed when they do not get everything they wanted!

    From one mommie to another I just want to say I appreciate you and what your doing its such a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better yet...as a teacher i get upset when I see the kids come to school wearing expensive clothes and sneakers and when I ask for school supplies...they constantly say they don't have any money!!!!! It's just so sad to see where one's priorities are. Are we content with ourselves??? Or do we look for others to find contentment within us?

    ReplyDelete