Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Nightmares

6:30am my door opens and I hear "mommy can I get in your bed?"
My first reaction is "NO! Get back in your bed!" but something tells me to open my eyes and look at Jade and as I do I hear the sobs and see the tears.  Immediately I wake up and ask what is wrong? I didn't know what to expect but the words that came next even scared me:

"I had a nightmare that you died!"

After listening to Jades nightmare about me being attacked at a carnival and beaten to death in front of her I didn't know what to do or say at firs.  Eventually I went into MommE mode: hugs, kisses, and cuddling (in my bed of course) and I explained that it was just a dream and I was ok.  Although I seemed to calm her down I was a wreck.

After dropping Jade to school that day I came home and googled nightmares in children and this is what I found:

Web MD states:
Nightmares occur from time to time in many children, but they are most common in preschoolers (children aged 3-6 years) because this is the age at which normal fears develop and a child’s imagination is very active. Some studies estimate that as many as 50% of children in this age group have nightmares. Nightmares involve frightening or unpleasant dreams that disrupt the child's sleep on several occasions and cause distress or problems with everyday life. When children wake up because of a nightmare, they become aware of their surroundings and usually need comfort. As a result, these children often wake up their parents as well.


Jodi Mindell, PHD listed these coping mechanisms on the sleepfoundation.org:



  • Listen and understand. Try to understand your child’s fears, and don't dismiss or make fun of them.
  • Reassurance. It is important to reassure your child if he is afraid. 
  • Teach coping skills. Teach your child coping skills and discuss alternative ways to respond, such as "being brave" and thinking positive thoughts; 
  • Use your imagination and be creative. Use your imagination to fight imaginary fears, like monsters. Many families have found “monster spray” to be a wonderful way to help a child cope with bedtime fears. Some children are comforted by having a pet nearby for nighttime company (even a bedside fish tank may help). Whenever possible, have your child be actively involved in coming up with solutions to help him gain a sense of mastery and control. 
  • Nightlight. No matter what your child seems to be afraid of, a night-light can help. Nightlights are fine as long as it does not prevent your child from falling asleep. Another thing to try is leaving the bedroom door open so that your child doesn't feel isolated from the rest of the family. 
  • Avoid scary television shows. Keep your child away from scary TV shows, videos or stories that may add to his fears. 
  • Discuss your child’s fears during the day. Talk to your child about his fears during the day and how he can be less frightened at night. Additionally, build your child's self-confidence during the day. If he feels secure during the day, this can help him feel more secure at night, too. 
  • Have him stay in his bed. Don't encourage your child to get out of bed. He should stay in bed and find out for himself that he really is safe so that he can learn to overcome his fears. 
  • Check on him. If your child is anxious about you leaving, check on him frequently. It is better to check on him on a predictable schedule, every 5 or 10 minutes, so that your coming and reassuring him is not based on him crying or calling out for you. 
  • Star system. Some children get reinforced for being scared at night by getting lots of attention for being afraid. If this is the case, switch the scenario. Tell him how proud you are of him for being brave. Set up a star system so he can earn stars for being brave and sleeping on his own. After earning a certain number of stars, he can turn them in for a treat, such as watching a favorite video, going to the park, or baking chocolate chip cookies
Since that night Jade has slept well and Im ever so grateful for that but I thought if I'm experiencing this there must be other parents going through the same things.  I hope this info can help you in some way. And I hope you leave comments with what helped you and your children. 

Until Next time MommE's! 

No comments:

Post a Comment