Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm not your Superwoman

Good Afternoon MommE's,

Yesterday a good friend and fellow MommE sent me an interesting article to read titled Lighten up on Yours to Have a Better Life. She said read this it will be great to discuss on your blog. So im taking her advice.

How many of you Mom's are trying to superwoman? I can admit I am! I work full time, and as you all know I am also working on my company The MommE-Shop. Outside of that I am planning my mothers destination wedding, being a mom, and I have started a new relationship. But I still feel its not enough! I want a radio show, travel agency, and I want to plan a fundraiser for a scholarship I just learned about. What is wrong with me?? Why do I feel like my worth as a person is determined by all the projects I take on?

As women, we often over do it. We work so hard to prove ourselves to others. And I think as women of color we take this ten steps further. At work we over compensate and go far beyond the norm to prove that we are as good as and better than our counterparts. We come home and take care of the kids and husband/boyfriend in an attempt to make them happy as well. Our family calls and here we come running with an S on our chest to make it all better. We join the gym because we have to lose 10 pounds. And after all of that we still want extra responsibilities.

But we have to stop!!! We need to take better care of ourselves and stop trying to run ourselves into the ground. WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH AS WE ARE! We don't have to prove anything to anyone. So MommE's in honor of Mothers Day, put your projects down, kick up your feet and enjoy your weekend!! Believe me YOU DESERVE IT!



http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/wayoflife/05/03/o.well.lived.life.key/index.html

1 comment:

  1. I battle with this concept... Sometimes I feel like I AM doing something wrong by wanting it all (career, family, sense of self) but reality is.. i believe i can have it all. I just have to work and balance my life to make sure everything i want has a lane and also making sure I prioritize and keep focus on the top tier. In the end,i believe happiness is what we should all shoot for. I find happiness in my family, in my career and with all of my ancillary projects but obviously somethings come first and I plan accordingly... If running around being "super woman" is not making you happy, i believe you should stop and focus on what does... and if running around like a mad woman trying to have it "all" makes you happy then grab your cape and GO!

    ReplyDelete