Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dear Mr Student Loan

OK this 2nd post today is not really momme talk but it's a rant about student loans LOL, Yes I said Student Loans.


Dear Mr Student Loan,

I am angry really really angry with you today. And this is why: Growing up you hear go to college it will help you, go to college you will get a good job and you will make good money blah blah blah. You get to high school and you do well in school, you may not be a straight A student but you do well enough to get accepted to college. And then the financial aid awards start rolling in, and its loan after loan after loan. For alot of people mommy and daddy don't make enough money or are not in a position to make monthly payments for you, so you (and I ) take out loans. Four years pass and its time to graduate. YES I did the right thing I got that degree. Whats next...making money (well the little bit they give you in your first job) or like me go BACK to school because once again you are told its much easier to just go all the way through. Get your Master's Degree finish quick. When your done with that ooo your gonna have jobs to choose from, salaries to choose from. So you do it again.

Two years later its graduation time again and you take an entry-level job because guess what you have NO REAL WORK EXPERIENCE. Whats the point of all the education when you could gain experience. And if your in a field like mine where hardly no one has a Master's Degree people are looking at you like who cares you have an MA you have NO EXPERIENCE. So you take this job and you still have 6 months before you have to pay back the loans. The 6 months pass and they tell you to pay 400 a month because you are now in debt a whopping $60,000. You defer.

Life begins to happen all around you. You get an apartment, you meet "Mr right" you have a baby and then its time to pay school loans again. You try to get the lowest payment option and you realize even that is too much for you to afford but no one cares.

So now I ask you Mr School Loan: how come you are punishing us? How come we,the people who try to do the education thing are punished? How come no one helps us.? I'm not talking deferral I'm talking no interest, chop half this ish off as long as I'm being a productive member of society. I have no felonies, misdemeanors! I am not on welfare and I give back to my community. I donate to charity and I volunteer. So why cant you take off some of my debt. Shit who is to say in 30 years I will still be alive anyway and then what???

Mr. School Loan I am tired of struggling to pay these stupid school loans that aren't going away. That extra $350 a month can go towards Jade having dance lessons, swim lessons, or a vacation to the beach like she keeps asking me for. And where are all the people you go to tell me to go ahead and go to grad school. Since you know it all can you pay a few months for me because "YOU WERE WRONG" getting my masters isn't helping me right now. In fact its making me more broke!

O and one more thing Mr School Loan, since you are taking all my money how can I start to save for Jade so she never has to go through what I am going through????

Signed an ANGRY, BROKE

MOMME!!!

4 comments:

  1. HAAAAA, this is hiliarious and so DAMN true. I hate SALLIE MAE. If I don't pay anyone she gets paid and will be getting paid for seems like the rest of my damn life. I hear you. WHO do we need to talk to, to get this amount cut down to at least HALF MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. However funny this is, I'd have to say, don't agree. I did pay back student loans for 20 years and it was no easy task. I did do the grad school thing twice and it was worth it. It's about the choices you make in life and you must see the big picture. It's called the future. I stayed with my sister for a year to payoff student loans, and made plenty of sacrifices. You do have it right. You must save anyway and any penny you can so that your child won't go through the same thing. Perhaps getting a petition going around the country with those paying back loans who do communty service as you mentioned gets a deduction for the amount of hours you serve. Like they do for teachers who work in disadvantaged communities. Try it! Just might work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,

    I think for some people in some fields like Teaching and Finance getting Masters degrees pays off in big dividends. But in some fields like Communications and Media Masters degrees mean absolutely nothing in fact I have been told many jobs wont review my resume because of my higher education. So while for you 2 Masters degrees helped you pay off student loans in 20 years for me it is more of a hinderance. And although its great that you were able to live with someone and pay off loans that is not an option for everyone and so while they did try to do the right thing it can feel like a huge slap in the face in the end when you just cant make ends meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The HOPE scholarship helped me so much and I would like to encourage other states to have this program as well. This scholarship is full tuition given to students with 3.0 and above who reside in GA and go to GA public universities or technical schools.

    ReplyDelete